Borger in Hutchinson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Beale Wagon Road has been well documented and marked from Los Angeles through Arizona, New Mexico and the Indian territory of Oklahoma. The upper counties of the Texas panhandle were the connecting link that made this road possible to connect the east with the west and made migration easier and safer with an established road. Two earlier roads passed through Hutchinson County, the Fort Smith-Santa Fe Trail blazed by Josiah Gregg in 1840 and the Marcy Trail established by Captain Randolph B. Marcy in 1849. It was logical for Edward Beale to use the trails that had already been established. During the 20th century these established trails
Erected 2014 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17949.)
Location. 35° 39.264′ N, 101° 24.321′ W. Marker is in Borger, Texas, in Hutchinson County. Marker is on Marcy Trail, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in front of gazebo near library and administration building, Frank Phillips Junior College. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1300 West Roosevelt, Borger TX 79007, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Smith-Santa Fe Trail (here, next to this marker); Site of John and Maggie Weatherly Half-Dugout Site (approx. 0.2 miles away); Girl Scout Little House (approx. one mile away); First Methodist Church of Borger (approx. 1.1 miles away); Quanah Parker Trail (approx. 1½ miles away); Borger 1929 Jail (approx. 1½ miles away); Grand Hotel and Grand Hardware Building (approx. 1½ miles away); Twentieth Century Club (approx. 1.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Borger.
Categories. • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 27, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 205 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 27, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.