Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Clay Sink in Pasco County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Clay Sink Cemetery, Baptist Church and School

 
 
Clay Sink Cemetery, Baptist Church and School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, February 22, 2014
1. Clay Sink Cemetery, Baptist Church and School Marker
Inscription. Harrison and Martha Ann McKinney Slaughter acquired 120 acres in this area from Jessie Sumner, May 20, 1862. The settlement that developed here was first called Slaughter after this pioneer family. Over time it became known as Clay Sink for the clay sinkhole that is in the area.

This cemetery was established on this hill of moss draped oaks in 1873 when the Slaughters buried their infant daughter here. Many of the early settlers and their descendants are buried here. It is now maintained in perpetuity by the Clay Sink Cemetery Association, Inc. On February 19, 1897 the Clay Sink Missionary Baptist Church was organized with twenty-one members with Elder G.A. Bryant, Moderator. In 1904, a wood frame building was erected on this site and served the congregation until the present pine building was constructed in 1956.

The one room Slaughter/Clay Sink school building was built in 1912 on Cobb Slough and moved in 1915 to this site that was donated by William Henry and Joanna Slaughter Boyett. It became the fellowship hall for the church in 1943 when the school closed due to consolidation. The teacher's raised platform remains a part of the structure.

The early settlers who were charter members of the church: Slaughters, Sumners, Boyetts, Sapps, Robbins, McKinneys, Hardins, Mobleys, Gays and Weeks. Descendants
Clay Sink Cemetery, Baptist Church and School Marker with church building. image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, February 22, 2014
2. Clay Sink Cemetery, Baptist Church and School Marker with church building.
of these families still live in the area.
 
Erected by Pasco County Board of County Commissioners and Pasco County Historical Preservation Committee.
 
Location. 28° 28.318′ N, 82° 3.913′ W. Marker is in Clay Sink, Florida, in Pasco County. Marker is at the intersection of Lacoochee Clay Sink Road and Clay Sink Church Road, on the right when traveling north on Lacoochee Clay Sink Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 45242 Lacoochee Clay Sink Rd, Webster FL 33597, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Dade (approx. 6.9 miles away); Fort King Road (approx. 6.9 miles away); Owensboro (approx. 7.7 miles away); Trilby Methodist Church (approx. 7.9 miles away); Trilby Cemetery (approx. 8.6 miles away); Lanier Bridge (approx. 9.3 miles away); Parson Brown Orange Tree (approx. 9 miles away); Dade City Cemetery (approx. 10.2 miles away).
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches & ReligionEducation
 
Clay Sink Baptist Church image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, February 22, 2014
3. Clay Sink Baptist Church
Clay Sink Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, February 22, 2014
4. Clay Sink Cemetery
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 28, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 201 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 28, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement