Near Perrysburg in Wood County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
to Dudley's Massacre / to Portage Stockade
Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail
—Harrison-Hull-Tupper Marches —
Text on South Side :
1812 • Marches • 1813
- - - - -
Text on North Side :
1812 • Marches • 1813
- - - - -
Erected 1930 by Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission. (Marker Number A122.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission marker series.
Location. Marker is missing. It was located near 41° 29.122′ N, 83° 38.729′ W. Marker was near Perrysburg, Ohio, in Wood County. Marker was at the intersection of Dixie Highway (Ohio Route 25) and Ovitt Road (County Route 104), on the left when traveling north on Dixie Highway. Touch for map. Nothing remains of this marker, but according to my vehicle's odometer this marker site is exactly 6.1 miles south of the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission marker for Dudley's Massacre. Marker was in this post office area: Perrysburg OH 43551, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Lieut. Wilson W. Brown (approx. 2.8 miles away); John A. Wilson (approx. 3.4 miles away); Fort Miamis Reserve/Miltonville (approx. 3.6 miles away); The Columbian House (approx. 3.8 miles away); John Pray - Founder of Waterville,Ohio / The Miami and Erie Canal (approx. 4 miles away); Wakeman Hall / Waterville Historical Society (approx. 4 miles away); Ohio Electric Railroad Bridge / Roche De Bout/Roche De Boeuf (approx. 4.4 miles away); Bowling Green Fault (approx. 4½ miles away).
More about this marker. This historical marker is part of the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail series which was put in place in 1930 to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the Ohio's Revolutionary War era Battle of Piqua, by the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission.
In order to accomplish this, in 1929 the state of Ohio created the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission, and then in 1930 this commission created 22 military trails, throughout western Ohio, between Cincinnati, Ohio on the state's southern border and Toledo, Ohio on the state's northern border. Each of these military trails represented the routes, or trails, used by military leaders during either the Revolutionary War, the Indian Wars, or the War of 1812. Each of these military routes connected
The routes of these military trails were in turn marked by type A and type B Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission markers that served as directional (type B) and distance (type A) markers. This particular marker is one of the type A markers of the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail series.
Originally, back in 1930, according to the ORMC 1931 Planning Report, there were erected 168 some of these Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission, type A, markers (see page 54). To date, I know of only 3 of these type A markers that have been located and posted on the Historical Marker database (markers A95, A96, and A1340). A large number of them are presently missing, including this particular marker.
Also see . . .
1. Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail System. A description of the Revolutionary Memorial Trail System developed by the state of Ohio in 1929 - 1930. (Submitted on March 30, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
2. Cartographic Map of the (Western) Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail, 1930. This is a link to information provided by the Midpointe Library System. Middletown, Trenton, West Chester, Ohio. (Submitted on March 30, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
3. 1931 'Biennium Report of the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission' (Submitted on March 30, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
1. Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail System Markers
This particular Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission (ORMC), Type A marker, once helped to mark the military marches of Generals Harrison, Hull, and Tupper, during the War of 1812. According to the ORMC 1931 Planning Report (see page 57), it was used on the portion of the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail System that connected Springfield to Fort Meigs. According to the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trails cartographic map, that was issued by the ORMC in 1930, this marker was situated along the roadway that in 1930 was US 25, but is today, State Route 25.
Back in 1930, when this marker was originally erected, US 25 was most likely a two lane roadway, whereas today, it is a four lane highway.
Along some portions of the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail System, it is difficult to identify the probable location of these markers because the roadways of 1930 are so much different from the present
— Submitted March 31, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.
Categories. • Native Americans • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 30, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 256 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 31, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 6. submitted on April 2, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.