Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fort Edward in Washington County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Gen. Washington

 
 
Gen. Washington Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, July 13, 2008
1. Gen. Washington Marker
Inscription.
In the summer of 1783,
General George Washington
was a guest here at Sherwood’s
House or Tavern, while on a
tour of area battlefields.

 
Erected 1999 by Washington County Historical Society.
 
Location. 43° 15.757′ N, 73° 34.799′ W. Marker is in Fort Edward, New York, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 4 and Courtland Street, on the right when traveling south on U.S. 4. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Edward NY 12828, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Smyth House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Fort House Museum (about 400 feet away); The Patt Smyth House (about 400 feet away); Old Moat (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fort Edward (approx. 0.2 miles away); Northeast Bastion (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Fort Edward (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Island (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Edward.
 
Categories. MilitaryNotable EventsWar, US Revolutionary
 
Marker in Fort Edward image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, July 13, 2008
2. Marker in Fort Edward
The marker is just north of the Smyth House, which was later called Sherwood's Tavern.
Sherwood’s Tavern image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, July 13, 2008
3. Sherwood’s Tavern
This house was confiscated from Patrick Smyth in 1777 by General Benedict Arnold when Smyth was arrested for being a loyalist to the British Crown. It was then purchased by Colonel Adiel Sherwood who operated it as an Inn and Tavern.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 20, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 888 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 20, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.
Paid Advertisement