Arlington in Kingsbury County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Kingsbury County South Dakota
You are about to enter
The Yankton Sioux ceded the region to the government in 1859. It was part of huge Buffalo County, 1864, and of larger Hanson County in 1870. On Jan. 8, 1873 it became Kingsbury County, named for George W. Kingsbury (1837-1925) of Yankton, legislator, editor and historian. Surveyed in 1873-75, general settlement began in 1878. The railroad came in 1879-80. The county was organized Feb. 18, 1880 by H.W. Palmer, H.J. Burvee, and Benjamin Loken. De Smet, the county seat, was named for Father Peter John De Smet (1801-1873), Jesuit missionary. The county in 1880 had 1,102 people, by 1890 – 8,562. Its area is 36 by 24 miles, or 552,960 acres. Lakes include Thompson, Henry, Spirit, Preston, Whitewood, Albert and others. Excellent waterfowl and pheasant hunting, and fishing are found here. Pioneer days have been depicted by three former residents of the county in Rose Wilder Lane’s novels, Laura Ingalls Wilder’s
Erected 1958 by Kingsbury County Commissioners.
Location. 44° 21.585′ N, 97° 7.743′ W. Marker is in Arlington, South Dakota, in Kingsbury County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 81 and E Birch Street, on the right when traveling south on U.S. 81. Touch for map. This marker is located at the edge of a park. Marker is in this post office area: Arlington SD 57212, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Brookings County South Dakota (here, next to this marker); Arlington Veterans Memorial (here, next to this marker); Lake County South Dakota (approx. 11.3 miles away).
Categories. • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 2, 2016, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 177 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 2, 2016, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.