Ashford in Windham County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
This area, part of the Wabbaquasset Indian country, was deeded to Captain James Fitch of Norwich in 1684 by Owaneco, sachem of the Mohegans. An earlier one having failed to act, a new committee was appointed by the General Assembly in May, 1710 to lay out the township. In October, 1714 further town privileges were granted and liberty to settle a minister and erect a meetinghouse. William Ward and John Perry were chosen as selectmen at the first town meeting, held early in 1715. This green was the center of town before the separation of Eastford in 1847. The First Church of Ashford, Congregational, organized November 26, 1718 with James Hale as minister, stood on this common. It was twice destroyed by fire and a third time by the 1938 hurricane. The Babcock Burial Ground, where many of the original settlers are buried, lies in the northwest corner of the green beyond the Ashford Academy, erected early in the 1800’s.
While the school was being built in 1825, the Academy Association added an upper story for advanced students. Among the important persons who received their early education here was General Edward Whitaker, awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor for gallantry during the Civil War. Under a flag of truce he received assurance that General Lee would surrender unconditionally at Appomattox
Erected 1980 by Town of Ashford, the Ashford Historical Society, and the Connecticut Historical Commission.
Location. 41° 52.354′ N, 72° 7.375′ W. Marker is in Ashford, Connecticut, in Windham County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 44 and Fitts Road, on the right when traveling west on U.S. 44. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ashford CT 06278, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Constitution Oak (within shouting distance of this marker); Ashford Veterans Memorial (approx. 2.1 miles away); John Perry Eastford Veterans Memorial (approx. 3 miles away); Eastford (approx. 3 miles away); Willington (approx. 4.9 miles away); Abington Meeting House (approx. 6 miles away); Abington Congregational Meeting House (approx. 6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ashford.
Also see . . .
1. Ashford’s history. (Submitted on April 4, 2016, by Alan M. Perrie of Unionville, Connecticut.)
2. Ashford Academy. (Submitted on April 4, 2016, by Alan M. Perrie of Unionville, Connecticut.)
3. Thomas Knowlton. (Submitted on April 4, 2016, by Alan M. Perrie of Unionville, Connecticut.)
4. General Edward Whitaker. (Submitted on April 4, 2016, by Alan M. Perrie of Unionville, Connecticut.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Education • Patriots & Patriotism • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 4, 2016, by Alan M. Perrie of Unionville, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 236 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 4, 2016, by Alan M. Perrie of Unionville, Connecticut. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.