Decatur in Dekalb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Dr. Chapmon Powell’s “Medicine House” and W.J. Houston Plantation
On July 18, 1864, war came to this site as Federal troops advancing on Atlanta and Decatur skirmished here. After the Battle of Atlanta, Gen. McPherson's remains were carried through Decatur to this site; then on to Sherman’s headquarters at the Howard house.
In 1904, Houston and Dr. W.J.Houston Jr., converted his plantation’s mill (off Houston Mill Rd. at Hahn Woods Commemorative Forest) into Decatur’s first electric power generation plant. He also established the Houston Chapel at his wife’s request, and until his death he conducted services in it for the rural community surrounding his farmlands.
Location. 33° 47.386′ N, 84° 18.394′ W. Marker is in Decatur, Georgia, in Dekalb County. Marker is on Clarimont Road (Georgia Route 155) 0.2 miles south Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Decatur GA 30030, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Trail to Standing Peachtree and Houston Chapel (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site: J. Oliver Powell House Sherman's H'dq'rs (approx. half a mile away); Site: Judge James Paden House: Gen. J.D. Cox’s H’dq’rs (approx. 0.8 miles away); Steatite Boulder (approx. 1.1 miles away); Houston Mill Millstone (approx. 1.2 miles away); DeKalb County (approx. 1.2 miles away); Wheeler’s Cav. at Decatur (approx. 1.2 miles away); Battle of Decatur (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Decatur.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 20, 2008, by Felch Dumas of Decatur, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,380 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 20, 2008, by Felch Dumas of Decatur, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.