Lipscomb in Lipscomb County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
By 1887, when infant Fred Mehlhop was buried here, the community had formally established Lipscomb Cemetery. His is the fist marked grave, although unmarked graves exist that may predate his burial. Among those interred here are the first Lipscomb County Judge, Tom Connell, as well as other county officials, schoolteachers, ranchers, farmers, and military veterans.
An early windmill and storage tank provided water to the site. Over the years, the community met annually for cleanings and decoration days, but today Lipscomb County maintains the burial ground, which is a tie to the area's early settlers and their efforts to develop the northeastern Texas panhandle beginning in the late 19th century.
Erected 2005 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 14395.)
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lipscomb TX 79056, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 16 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lipscomb Union Church (approx. 0.9 miles away); Lipscomb School (approx. one mile away); Lipscomb County Courthouse (approx. one mile away); St. John's Lutheran Church Cemetery (approx. 1.2 miles away); Quanah Parker Trail (approx. 1.3 miles away); Lipscomb, Texas (approx. 1.3 miles away); Fairview Cemetery (approx. 10.2 miles away); Follett United Methodist Church and Church Bell (approx. 15½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lipscomb.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 4, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 199 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 4, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.