Walnford’s Tenant Houses
In the 1700s and 1800s millers, craftsmen, farm laborers, domestic servants and their families made up Walnford’s working population, which fluctuated in size and ethnic composition. The houses were later rented to families who worked elsewhere.
The two tenant houses were destroyed by a fire in 1969. Archaeological investigations confirmed the locations of the buried foundations, and otherwise hidden yet important part of Walnford’s history.
(Inscription above the image in the upper left)
“…a large Brick-House two story high, commodious for two families; with a good Kitchen, large Barn, Stable and Cooper’s Shop, all new.” First developed around a mill in the 1730s by Allentown merchant Samuel Rodgers, this property was advertised for sale in the March 17, 1744 New York Weekly Post-Boy.
(Inscription below the image in the upper right)
The brick tenant house was built about 1740. Shown here in 1897, the persons in front may be the miller, John R. Hutchinson, and his daughter Cora.
(Inscription below the image in the lower center)
“…a frame tenement story and a half high…There
(Inscription below the image in the lower right)
The Tomlins were on of the families that lived here in the 1930s. Pictured are sisters Marie, Ella and Mabel with friends Ida Shibla and Donald Hornet
Erected by Historic Walnford-Friends of the Park.
Location. 40° 8.075′ N, 74° 33.542′ W. Marker is in Allentown, New Jersey, in Monmouth County. Marker is on Walnford Road. Touch for map. The marker is on the grounds of the Historic Walnford and Crosswicks Creek Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 74 Walnford Road, Allentown NJ 08501, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Historic Walnford (within shouting distance of this marker); Historic Walnford Park (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Crosswicks Quaker Meeting (approx. 4.8 miles away); Crosswicks
Categories. • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 9, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 114 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on April 9, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.