Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
La Paz Centro, León, Nicaragua
 

“The Town Square”

“Plaza Mayor”

 
 
"The Town Square" Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, February 15, 2016
1. "The Town Square" Marker
Inscription. Su trazo corresponde a una poligonal de 200 x 100 varas.

Era el lugar de mayor convergencia de la población: “…tan grande como las fiestas a caballo…”

Limites:
- Norte: Casa del Gobernador .
-Sur: Calle Real y Casa Real de Fundición.
-Este: Catedral Santa Maria de las Gracias.
- Oeste: Cabildo.
Punto de encuentro de sus habitants. En ella se organizaban el “tianguis” o Mercado, procesiones religiosas, bailes o danzas, lecturas de sentencias y ajusticiamientos públicos.

Pie de dibujo: Plano de conjunto

English:
“Main Square”
It has a polygonal layout measuring 200 x 100 varas.

It was a place where a lot of people converged: “…it was as crowded as the equestrian sports festivals…”

Limits
- North: The Governor’s Palace.
- South: The Royal Road and the Royal Foundry House.
- East: The Saint Mary of Graces Cathedral.
- West: The Town Hall.

It was the meeting point of the inhabitants. It was the scenario of “tianguis” or open air markets, religious processions, dances, reading of sentences and public executions.

Caption: Site map
 
Location. 12° 24.101′ N, 86° 37.032′ 
"The Town Square" Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, February 15, 2016
2. "The Town Square" Marker
The Monument to the Indigenous Resistance of 1528 is in front of the marker.
W. Marker is in La Paz Centro, León. Touch for map. The marker is at the Viejo León Archaeological Site, in the town square of the site.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. “The Town Council” (within shouting distance of this marker); “The Saint Mary of Graces Cathedral” (within shouting distance of this marker); "The Royal Road" (within shouting distance of this marker); “The Palace of Governor Rodrigo de Contreras” (within shouting distance of this marker); “The House of Ana Jiménez” (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); "Unidentified" Colonial Structure No 11 (about 90 meters away); "The House of Hernando de Soto and Hernán Ponce de León" (about 120 meters away); "The House of Martín" (about 150 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in La Paz Centro.
 
Categories. Colonial EraPoliticsSettlements & Settlers
 
The Monument to the Indigenous Resistance of 1528 image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, February 15, 2016
3. The Monument to the Indigenous Resistance of 1528
The marker is directly behind the monument. It honors the 18 indigenous leaders that the Spanish killed by having them attacked and eaten by dogs in 1528.

It reads: Monumento a la Resistencia Indígena de 1528, A los doctores Eduardo Perez Valle y Alfonso Arguello Arguello descubridores de esta ciudad en 1967, Al Capitán Francisco Hernández de Córdoba fundador de esta ciudad en 1524, Ruinas de León Viejo Declarado Patrimonio Cultural de la Humanidad Año 2000

English:
Monument to the Indigenous Resistance of 1528, To Doctors Eduardo Perez Valle and Alfonso Arguello Arguello, discoverers of this city in 1967, To Captain Francisco Hernandez de Cordoba, founder of this city in 1524, The ruins of Leon Viejo were declared Cultural Patrimony of Humanity in 2000
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 10, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 152 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on April 10, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.
Paid Advertisement