The Barron House at 574 Rahway Avenue was built in 1803 by Joseph Barron, a deacon of First Presbyterian Church, and his sons, John and Thomas. John managed a farm on the family estate and established a cabinet factory in Woodbridge. Thomas Barron held a partnership in a trading house in the West Indies trade. Upon his death, he bequeathed $50,000 for the establishment of a library.
The Barron Library at 582 Rahway Avenue was built in 1877 on land donated from the family estate by Thomas’ nephew, Civil War physician John C. Barron. It was the first free public library in Middlesex County. Constructed by renowned architect J. Clevland Cady in beautiful Romanesque Revival-style, the building is a supreme example of Victorian-era architecture and is listed on both the State and National Register of Historic Places. Since 1977 it has housed the Barron Arts Center.
(Inscription under the image on the left)
John Connor Barron
Erected 2013 by Mayor John E. McCormac Woodbridge Township.
Location. 40° 33.668′ N, 74° 16.436′ W. Marker is in Woodbridge, New Jersey, in Middlesex County. Marker is on Rahway Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 582 Rahway Avenue, Woodbridge NJ 07095, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Barron Library (here, next to this marker); Barron Arts Center (a few steps from this marker); First Presbyterian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); First Presbyterian Church of Woodbridge (within shouting distance of this marker); Presbyterian Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Aaron Dunn Homestead/Jost-Keating House (about 300 feet away); Revolutionary Soldiers and Patriots of Woodbridge (about 600 feet away); First Presbyterian Church Cemetery (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Woodbridge.
Categories. • Architecture • Charity & Public Work • Colonial Era •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 16, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 165 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 16, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.