Police Athletic League Memorial Field
Left side plague
Patrolman Richard H. Conklin Badge #23 October 11, 1944-January 21 1972-After completing his tour of duty with the military, Conklin became a member of the South Plainfield Police Department on November 13, 1967. On January 21, 1972 Conklin assisted the Rescue Squad in the transportation of a mentally ill patient. Conklin was riding in the rear of the Rescue Squad vehicle when the patient broke free of the restraints, literally ripped Officer Conklinís firearm from his holster, and shot him twice. Officer Conklin died with moments of being shot. His parents, Henry and Mary, and sisters Mary and Ethel survived him.
Right side plaque
Patrolman William J. Cady Badge #9 April 22, 1945-April 19, 1975-After completing his tour of duty with the military, Cady became a member of the South Plainfield Police Department on February 24, 1969. In 1971, he received a commendation for single handily subduing two burglary suspect who had violently resisted arrest. While conducting a routine traffic stop on an entrance ramp to Interstate Highway 287, he was struck and killed by a passing vehicle. The operator of the vehicle was under the influence of narcotics at the time of the accident. His wife Jane, daughter Stephanie, and son Rhett survived him.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Quaker Meeting House (within shouting distance of this marker); First Baptist Church of South Plainfield (approx. ĺ mile away); Plainfield Garden Club (approx. 1.2 miles away); Samptown Cemetery (approx. 1.6 miles away); The Oak Tree Neighborhood (approx. 1.7 miles away); Oak Tree Pond (approx. 1.7 miles away); The Reuben Ayers House (approx. 1.7 miles away); The Oak Tree Engagement and the Battle of the Short Hills (approx. 1.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in South Plainfield.
Categories. • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 17, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 119 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 17, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.