The Lincoln Highway - The nation's ﬁrst coast-to-coast highway!
Rich in History and Culture
In 1913, Carl Fisher proposed the "Coast-to-Coast Rock Highway". Eager to put America on wheels, executives from automobile and tire manufacturers quickly joined in the effort. At the inaugural meeting on July 1, 1913, the newly elected President, Henry Joy, proposed the highway be dedicated to the martyred Abraham Lincoln. This became a cause that Americans nationwide could rally behind.
Through a wildly successful marketing campaign convincing the public (and eventually the federal government) that better roads were needed, The Road Act of 1916 provided the seed money to begin road improvement. The Federal Highway Act of 1921 reflected the need for an interstate road network. This act provided $75 million in funding to state highway departments.
The Lincoln Highway was once the most famous road in America. It was a testament to the vision and perseverance of entrepreneurs inspired to create the first successful, all-weather, coast-to-coast automobile highway.
In the early 20th century, as bicycle's popularity gave way to the expanding automotive industry, demand for improved driving conditions increased. Muddy, treacherous stretches, roads plagued by broken down vehicles, and impassable expanses amounting to little more than cow paths were rapidly becoming intolerable to a now mobile public.
Traveling along the
This gazebo project is coordinated by the Illinois Lincoln Highway Coalition, the management agency for the Illinois Lincoln Highway National Scenic Byway. The 179 mile portion of the Lincoln Highway through Illinois is the only section that has received the National Scenic Byway Designation.
Background Image: "One Half Mile West of Malta, Illinois"
Lincoln Highway Digital Image Collection, Special Collections Library, University of Michigan-Ann Arbor.
Erected by Illinois Lincoln Highway Coalition.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Lincoln Highway marker series.
Location. 41° 36.493′ N, 88° 12.713′ W. Marker is in Plainfield, Illinois, in Will County. Marker is at the intersection of Lockport Street (Illinois Route 126) and Wood Farm Road, on the left when traveling west on Lockport Street. Touch for map. Marker
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Interurban Transportation (here, next to this marker); Great American Crossroads in Illinois (here, next to this marker); Village of Plainfield (here, next to this marker); E J & E Depot No. 4 (within shouting distance of this marker); Boxcars (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Caboose (about 300 feet away); The Development of Downtown Plainfield (approx. 0.3 miles away); Downtown Historic District (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Plainfield.
Also see . . .
1. The Lincoln Highway. (Submitted on April 24, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Drive the Historic Lincoln Highway (Illinois Lincoln Highway Coalition). (Submitted on April 24, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. The Lincoln Highway Association. (Submitted on April 24, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
4. Lincoln Highway. (Submitted on April 24, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 24, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 142 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 24, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.