Chenango Canal Walking Tour
Maydole Hammer Factory Sign
Lock Street (Lackawanna Avenue) was constructed in 1837 to facilitate deliveries from canal boats to the village. Lock Street ran along the south side of the Hammer Factory and terminated at the lock. A small portion of the street can be seen in front of the covered entry to the Hammer Factory on the left side o the photograph. You are standing very near that site.
David Maydole constructed the factory next to the lock so the waste water from Lock #93 could be used to power the grinding room machinery. The Maydole Hammer Factory was in continuous operation from 1848-1900; then sporadically during the 20th century. Most of the buildings burned September 2, 1957, and the remaining buildings were removed in 1970.
David Maydole invented the Adz-Eye Hammer that revolutionized the hammer industry because the hammer head did not fly off during use.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Chenango Canal marker series.
Location. 42° 31.951′ N, 75°
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Chenango Canal Walking Tour (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Chenango Canal Walking Tour (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Log Cabin (approx. ¼ mile away); Chenango Canal (approx. 0.3 miles away); 1789 (approx. 0.4 miles away); Railroad Yards (approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named Chenango Canal (approx. 0.9 miles away); Avery Power (approx. 1½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Norwich.
Categories. • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 26, 2016, by Scott J. Payne of Deposit, New York. This page has been viewed 130 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on April 26, 2016, by Scott J. Payne of Deposit, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.