Piney Point Lighthouse
A fixed white light consisting of ten lamps and 10 reflectors was installed increasing the visibility of the beacon for eleven miles. A Fresnel lens of the fifth order was added in 1855.
Fog in the area along the treacherous shoreline at Pine Point resulted in the addition of a bell tower in 1880. Replaced by a reed horn in 1936 the bell tower was to fall victim to Hurricane Hazel in 1954.
(Photos courtesy of the Mariners Museum, Newport News, Virginia)
Location. 38° 8.154′ N, 76° 31.748′ W. Marker is in Piney Point, Maryland, in St. Mary's County. Marker is on Lighthouse Road (SR 498). Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Piney Point MD 20674, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Potomac River Military Testing (here, next to this marker); Lighthouse Keeper's Quarters (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Piney Point Lighthouse
Categories. • Notable Places • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 28, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 96 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 28, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.