Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Valera in Coleman County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Valera Cemetery

 
 
Valera Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, April 28, 2016
1. Valera Cemetery Marker
Inscription. The Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe railroad established a railway line about eight miles southwest of Coleman in 1904. The town of Valera developed in the area around the train depot. Its business district, established parallel to the railroad, reflected the needs of its citizens. Businesses included a post office, a hotel, a bank, a flour mill, a cotton gin, an opera house, grocery stores, a blacksmith shop, a cafe and a water well in the middle of the street.
     Recognizing the need for a community cemetery, Mrs. Minnie K. Harris deeded more than five acres of land in 1922. One of two cemeteries serving the community, it contains more than 300 marked graves, and at least five unmarked graves. The first recorded burial was that of Mrs. N.C. Kidwell in 1922.
     Many prominent citizens of the area are buried here, including Dr. H.H. Mitchell (1866-1927) who came to Valera in 1905. The only doctor in town, Dr. Mitchell helped establish the first school, was a deacon in the Baptist church and president of the First State Bank. Also buried here is local law enforcement officer Richard A. Pauly. The cemetery contains burials of veterans from the Spanish American War, World War I, World War II, and the Korean War.
 
Erected 1996 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 5628.)
North Entrance to Valera Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, April 28, 2016
2. North Entrance to Valera Cemetery

 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway marker series.
 
Location. 31° 44.339′ N, 99° 32.848′ W. Marker is near Valera, Texas, in Coleman County. Marker can be reached from Farm to Market Road 503 one mile south of U.S. 267, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is located at the north entrance to Valera Cemetery. Marker is in this post office area: Valera TX 76884, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Richard A. Pauley (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Centennial School (approx. 4.1 miles away); The Blair House (approx. 9.4 miles away); Original Coleman County Court House (approx. 9.7 miles away); Western Cattle Trail (approx. 9.7 miles away); Co. B, 142nd Infantry, 36th Division Memorial (approx. 9.7 miles away); County Named in 1857 for Robert M. Coleman (approx. 9.7 miles away); Mrs. J.A.B. Miller Public Library Building (approx. 9.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Valera.
 
More about this marker. Inscribed on the bottom border of the marker is “In Memory of Tom and Ora Simmons Hymer”. (Incise on base)
 
Also see . . .
Valera Cemetery next to Farm-to-Market Road 503 image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, April 28, 2016
3. Valera Cemetery next to Farm-to-Market Road 503
 Valera Cemetery - findagrave.com. (Submitted on May 4, 2016.)
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesSettlements & Settlers
 
Valera Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, April 28, 2016
4. Valera Cemetery
Grave Site of Dr. H.H. Mitchell image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, April 28, 2016
5. Grave Site of Dr. H.H. Mitchell
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 4, 2016, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 155 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 4, 2016, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.
Paid Advertisement