Newark Female Charitable Society
Women’s Heritage Trail
“Surely the women of 1803 would be pleasantly surprised by the changes over the long years. The snowball they started rolling in the age of Jefferson has grown larger, and changed shape…however times have changed, Newarkers of 1803 and 1903 would recognize the mission as the same: to lift up the hearts of the neglected,
(Inscription in the two boxes on the right) (Top box)
The Newark Day Center is on the New Jersey Women’s Heritage Trail because of the significant contributions of so many New Jersey women in caring for the people in their community.
The New Jersey Women’s Heritage Trail highlights a collection of historic sites located around the state that represent the significant contributions women made to the history of our state. The Heritage Trail brings to life the vital role of women in New Jersey’s past and present.
Erected by New Jersey Historic Trust-Historic Preservation Office.
Marker series. This marker is included in the New Jersey Women’s Heritage Trail marker series.
Location. 40° 43.933′ N, 74° 10.561′ W. Marker is in Newark, New Jersey, in Essex County. Marker is on Halsey Street. Touch for map. The marker is affixed to the exterior wall of the building on the left side of the
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Historic Site-Grace Church (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); “Old First” (approx. ¼ mile away); First Settlers of Newark (approx. ¼ mile away); Newark Covenant (approx. ¼ mile away); Revolutionary War Soldiers and Patriots Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away); Lincoln Post Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); This Liberty Pole (approx. half a mile away); Elisha Boudinot and General Lafayette (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newark.
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Women •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 11, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 102 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 11, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.