Johann Christian Heyl
Johann Christian Heyl (1788-1877), the first German and first Lutheran to settle in Columbus, was one of the original 15 settlers of the city. A baker by trade, Heyl came to bake for the soldiers quartered in Franklinton during the War of 1812. He founded the city's first Lutheran Church and helped financially underwrite the German Theological Seminary, which later became Capital University. An early civic leader, Heyl served on City Council for 14 years, was County Treasurer for 8 years, an associate judge in the Court of Common Pleas for 14 years, was appointed to the first public school board, and was the first Chief of the Fire Department. His Sunbury Road home was a stop on the Underground Railroad.
Johann Christian Heyl operated a hostelry at Rich and High streets for 28 years in the early 1800s, first known as the Swan and later as Franklin House. Due to its close proximity to the Statehouse and location just north of the entrance to the National Road on High Street, it was a popular stop for members of the General Assembly and center of many civic events. One such notable event was the Great
Erected 2003 by Johann Christian Heyl Bicentennial Marker Committee The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 63- 25.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 39° 57.259′ N, 82° 59.955′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Ohio, in Franklin County. Marker is at the intersection of South High Street and West Mound Street, on the right when traveling south on South High Street. Touch for map. Marker is at the northeast corner of the Franklin County Courthouse. Marker is at or near this postal address: 369 S High St, Columbus OH 43215, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Battleship U.S.S. Ohio (approx. ¼ mile away); America’s Pioneer Kindergarten (approx. ¼ mile away); Columbus Feeder Canal / The Ohio- Erie Canal (approx. 0.3 miles away); Central Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); United Mine Workers of America Columbus City Hall (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Ohio Theater (approx. 0.4 miles away); The State House (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
More about this marker. Marker was originally at the corner of Rich and High, was removed for construction, and put in storage. It was re-installed at this location.
Categories. • Abolition & Underground RR • Charity & Public Work • Settlements & Settlers • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 13, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 244 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 13, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.