Rome in Floyd County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Berry Schools’ Old Mill
Erected 2002 by Georgia Historical Society and Berry College. (Marker Number 57-3.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 34° 19.454′ N, 85° 14.944′ W. Marker is in Rome, Georgia, in Floyd County. Marker is on Water Wheel Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at the water wheel at the Mountain Campus, Berry College, off US 27 north of Rome, Georgia. Marker is in this post office area: Mount Berry GA 30149, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. General Thomas Edwin Greenfield Ransom 1834-1864 Berry College (approx. 4.3 miles away); Martha Berryís Birthplace (approx. 4.9 miles away); Original Cabin (approx. 5.1 miles away); Farmerís Bridge Armuchee Creek (approx. 5.4 miles away); Chieftains (approx. 5.6 miles away); Major Ridge (approx. 5.6 miles away); De Soto In Georgia (approx. 6.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rome.
Also see . . . Old Mill. From the Berry College Mountain Campus Virtual Tour. (Submitted on July 27, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
1. Former Operator of Berry School's Old Mill
My Grandfather, Greenberry Goodson, operated the grist mill at Berry College when it was actually used to grind meal and flour for use at the college. He passed away in 1940.
— Submitted February 10, 2009, by Agnes Crawford Conway of Rock Hill, South Carolina.
Categories. • 20th Century • Agriculture • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 23, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 2,659 times since then and 63 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on July 23, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 2, 3. submitted on April 21, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 4. submitted on July 23, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.