Near Jackson's Gap in Tallapoosa County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Woods Presbyterian Church
In 1898, nine area residents organized a Presbyterian church with Rev. B.F. Bellinger as organizational pastor. Worship services were held every fourth Sunday in the old Concord School or, weather permitting, under a bush arbor on the site. A cemetery and church building followed in 1905, with timber and foundation-pillar stones for construction all donated. Sunday School rooms were added to the church in 1930, along with 2 rock columns defining the main entrance into the cemetery. The Church was named for Dr. A.J. Wood, who had served the congregation as pastor since its beginning. A portrait of the leading founder of Woods Presbyterian Church, Mary Sims Turner, graces the fellowship hall.
'Now faith is the substance of all things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.' HEBREWS 11:1
Erected 2015 by Alabama Historical Association.
Location. 32° 53.689′ N, 85° 46.186′ W. Marker is near Jackson's Gap, Alabama, in Tallapoosa County. Marker is at the intersection of Horseshoe Bend Road (Alabama Route 49) and Church Road, on the right when traveling south on Horseshoe Bend Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1627 Church Road, Jacksons Gap AL 36861, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other Horseshoe Bend Battle Ground (approx. 3.4 miles away); Grafenberg Medical Institute (approx. 4.3 miles away); Johnson J. Hooper (approx. 4.4 miles away); Tallapoosa County Korean & Vietnam War Memorial (approx. 4.4 miles away); Battle Of Horseshoe Bend (approx. 4.4 miles away); Tallapoosa County World War II Memorial (approx. 4.4 miles away); Tallapoosa County World War I Memorial (approx. 4.4 miles away); Tallapoosa County Peace Officers (approx. 4.4 miles away).
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 9, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 233 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 9, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.