Near Charles City in Charles City County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Erected 1997 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number V-34.)
Location. 37° 19.562′ N, 76° 59.716′ W. Marker is near Charles City, Virginia, in Charles City County. Marker is on John Tyler Memorial Highway (Virginia Route 5) east of County Route 614, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Charles City VA 23030, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sturgeon Point & Kennons (a few steps from this marker); Kennon's Landing (a few steps from this marker); Sherwood Forest President Tyler's Home (approx. 1.6 miles away); Sandy Point & Cherry Hall (approx. 2 miles away); Binns Hall (approx. 3 miles away); Wryanoke & Parrish Hill (approx. 3.2 miles away); North Bend (approx. 3.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Charles City.
Also see . . .
1. Fort Pocahontas. ..is privately owned and maintained by President Tylerís grandson and his family, who still reside just two miles west at Sherwood Forest Plantation, President Tylerís home from 1842 to 1861. (Submitted on September 22, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
2. National Registry of Historic Places Registration Form for Fort Pocahontas. (Submitted on September 22, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
Additional keywords. USCT, 1st USCT Regiment of Washington, D.C.
Categories. • African Americans • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 19, 2007, by Dexter Akinsheye of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,413 times since then and 33 times this year. Last updated on July 25, 2008, by Kathy Walker of Stafford, Virginia. Photos: 1. submitted on September 19, 2007, by Dexter Akinsheye of Silver Spring, Maryland. 2, 3. submitted on September 20, 2007, by Dexter Akinsheye of Silver Spring, Maryland. 4. submitted on December 9, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.