The Indianapolis Times (originally published as the Sun in 1888) moved to this site in 1924. In the 1920s, it led a crusade against the Ku Klux Klan, exposing the Klan's influence in Indiana politics and spurring investigations into corrupt state elections. For this public service, the Times won journalism's highest award, the Pulitzer Prize, in 1928.
Times advocated for the benefit of the public: organized Clothe-A-Child campaign during the Great Depression; won national award for its work on behalf of the mentally ill (1955); and identified jobs for the unemployed (1961). Exposed state highway scandals (1950s) and errors in crime statistics (1962), leading to better police patrol. Ceased publication in 1965.
Erected 2013 by Indiana Historical Bureau, Hoosier State Press Association Foundation, Marion County Historical Society. (Marker Number 49.2013.2.)
Location. 39° 45.972′ N, 86° 9.758′ W. Marker is in Indianapolis, Indiana, in Marion County. Marker can be reached from Maryland Street. Touch for map. Marker is located Convention Center Plaza east of the Westin Indianapolis Hotel, between Maryland St. and Washington
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The National Road (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Indiana State House (about 400 feet away); Thomas Andrews Hendricks (about 500 feet away); State Capitol (approx. 0.2 miles away); Here, Abraham Lincoln Said (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lincoln to the Citizens of Indiana (approx. 0.2 miles away); Oliver Perry Morton (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Lincoln Funeral Train (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Indianapolis.
Additional keywords. Newspaper
Categories. • Civil Rights • Communications •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 19, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 17, 2016, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 133 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 17, 2016, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.