Philadelphia in Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The History of Franklin Court
Franklin first saw the site at 17, while lodging with the family of his future wife. Deborah Read, in a small house at the front of this lot. Once together, Benjamin and Deborah inherited and acquired the neighboring properties.
By the early 1760's, Franklin contracted with a master carpenter, Robert Smith, to build a large house to stand in a quiet garden deep in the middle of the block.
Franklin left for England while the house was under construction during 1763-65. Tragically, before Benjamin's return to his new home, Deborah had died.
Fortunately for Ben, his daughter Sarah and husband, Richard Bache, had moved into the house, filling it with grandchildren. Returning in 1775, Franklin soon found the house too small; at the age of 81, he added an extension.
Location. 39° 56.958′ N, 75° 8.8′ W. Marker is in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in Philadelphia County. Marker can be reached from Market Street. Touch for map. Marker in in the courtyard. Marker is at or near this postal address: 316 Market Street, Philadelphia PA 19106, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Franklin Court (here, next to this marker); Franklin Privy Pit (a few steps from this marker); Franklin's Neighborhood (within shouting distance of this marker); Benjamin Franklin (within shouting distance of this marker); Anthony Benezet (within shouting distance of this marker); Anthony J. Drexel (within shouting distance of this marker); Carpenters' Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Fawcitt House Site (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Philadelphia.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 25, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 656 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 25, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.