Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Carpenter in Mitchell County, Iowa — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Fort Severson

 
 
Fort Severson Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith L, July 22, 2008
1. Fort Severson Marker
Inscription. Built in 1867 by Nils Severson on his land with help of neighbor's using limestone and mortar of lime & sand from Deer Creek. Severson's design was a typical fort with small openings for rifles and larger openings for gatling guns. The Spirit Lake Massacre and uprising at New Ulm Minnesota prompted the building of forts across North Iowa. This is the only one left standing. Although Indians never came there were some scares. Settlers would come from as far as ten miles to stay here. The building was later used as a stage coach stop on a route between Northwood and St. Ansgar on the Kansas City, Rochester Minnesota stage line. As many as 20 people would sleep on the top floor, meals were served on the first floor. Immigrants would stay while looking for land to settle on. It became a farm building in the 1870's after the railroad came through. Restored in 1972 by local people as a United States bicentennial project. Use of fort & site donated by David & Judy Goplerud. Placed on the National Register of Historic Sites in July 1976.

Maintained by Mitchell County Historical Society.
 
Location. 43° 25.352′ N, 93° 0.658′ W. Marker is near Carpenter, Iowa, in Mitchell County. Marker can be reached from 456th Street 0.8 miles east of Zinnia Avenue (
Fort Severson and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith L, July 22, 2008
2. Fort Severson and Marker
County Highway S68), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Fort Severson is east of the railroad. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1068 456th Street, Carpenter IA 50426, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Deer Creek Lutheran Church Bell (approx. 0.8 miles away); First Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 11.2 miles away); Dragoon Trail Historical Site Marker No. 10 (approx. 13.2 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Fort Severson. "The Deer Creek settlement felt the need of a fort for shelter and protection. Indians seen scouting along Deer Creek did not put the settlement at ease, and thus Fort Severson became a reality, bearing the date of 1867. It is of typical fort-like construction. The walls, built of native limestone taken from the banks of Deer Creek, are about two feet in thickness." (Submitted on July 26, 2008.) 
 
Categories. Notable BuildingsSettlements & SettlersWars, US Indian
 
Fort Severson image. Click for full size.
By Keith L, July 22, 2008
3. Fort Severson
National Register of Historic Places
Building #77000540
(Free admission; always open.)
Inside of Fort Severson image. Click for full size.
By Keith L, July 22, 2008
4. Inside of Fort Severson
Fort Severson Sign image. Click for full size.
By Keith L, July 22, 2008
5. Fort Severson Sign
Road to Fort Severson image. Click for full size.
By Keith L, July 22, 2008
6. Road to Fort Severson
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 26, 2008, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,831 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 26, 2008, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement