Loganís Memorial Day Order
óOhio Soldierí and Sailorí Orphansí Home ó
Headquarters Grand Army of the Republic, Washington, D.C., May 5, 1868.
I. The 30th day of May, 1868, is designated for the purpose of strewing with flowers or otherwise decorating the graves of comrades who died in defense of their country during the late rebellion, and whose bodies now lie in almost every city, village, and hamlet churchyard in the land. In this observance no form or ceremony is prescribed, but posts and comrades will in their own way arrange such fitting services and testimonials of respect as circumstances may permit. We are organized, comrades, as our regulations tell us, for the purpose, among other things, "of preserving and strengthening those kind and fraternal feelings which have bound together the soldiers, sailors, and marines who united to suppress the late rebellion." What can aid more to assure this result than by cherishing tenderly the memory of our heroic dead, who made their breasts a barricade between our country and its foes? Their soldier lives were the reveille of freedom to a race in chains, and their death a tattoo of rebellious tyranny in arms. We should guard their graves with sacred vigilance. All that the consecrated wealth and taste of the Nation can add to their adornment and security is but a fitting tribute to the memory of her slain defenders.
II. It is the purpose of the Commander-in-Chief to inaugurate this observance with the hope it will be kept up from year to year, while a survivor of the war remains to honor the memory of his departed comrades. He earnestly desires the public press to call attention to this Order, and lend its friendly aid in bringing it to the notice of comrades in all parts of the country in time for simultaneous compliance therewith.
III. Department commanders
By command of:
JOHN A. LOGAN,
N. P. CHIPMAN,
Presented in memory of Mrs. Sarah B. Richter, Past Presedent Dept. of Ohio, Womenís Relief Corps, Auxiliary to the G.A.R. of the Cincinnati W.R.C. Hospital Committee, June 3rd, 1937.
Erected 1937 by Dept. of Ohio, Womenís Relief Corps, Auxiliary to the G.A.R.
Location. 39° 40.213′ N, 83° 55.241′ W. Marker is in Xenia, Ohio, in Greene County. Marker is on Elliot Drive, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is to the left of the front door, Ohio Soldierí and Sailorí Orphansí Home Ohio Veteransí Childrensí Home AXP Museum on the campus of the Legacy Center. Marker is at or near this postal address: 650 Elliott Dr, Xenia OH 45385, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Honor (a few steps from this marker); Civil War Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Xenia Station (approx. 0.9 miles away); Greene County War Memorial (approx. 1.1 miles away); 74th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry War Savings Stamps (approx. 1.1 miles away); Desert Shield - Desert Storm - Persian Gulf Memorial (approx. 1.2 miles away); Greene County Civil War Memorial (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Xenia.
Additional keywords. Womenís Relief Corps
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 1, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 30, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 165 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 30, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.