Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Leonardtown in St. Mary's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

This Cannon

 
 
This Cannon Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tom Fuchs, March 31, 2007
1. This Cannon Marker
The worn brass plate can be seen bolted to the top of the brick pedestal.
Inscription. This cannon was brought to Maryland in 1634 on The Ark. Used in defense of St. Mary’s City and as a St. Inigoes Manor boundary marker. Presented to St. Mary’s County Historical Society by The Society of Jesus.

(original inscription on a worn brass plate) This cannon was presented to the Saint Mary’s County Historical Society by the Maryland Province, Society of Jesus. It was used in the early defenses of Saint Mary’s City and for many years served as a boundary marker of Saint Inigoes Manor.
 
Location. 38° 17.37′ N, 76° 38.16′ W. Marker is in Leonardtown, Maryland, in St. Mary's County. Marker is on Courthouse Drive west of Washington Street (Maryland Route 326), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. It is on the grounds of the courthouse, in front of the Old Jail. Marker is at or near this postal address: 41625 Courthouse Drive, Leonardtown MD 20650, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Leonardtown (here, next to this marker); The Great House (within shouting distance of this marker); A Town Spared (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); World War I Monument -- Leonardtown
The Cannon image. Click for full size.
By Tom Fuchs, March 31, 2007
2. The Cannon
(about 500 feet away); War Comes to Breton Bay (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Leonardtown.
 
Regarding This Cannon. The Ark and The Dove were the ships that carried the first settlers of the Maryland Colony from England in 1634. The Society of Jesus (the Jesuits) established one of the earliest manors in the colony, a large plantation called St. Inigoes, soon after St. Mary’s City was founded and owned it for more than 300 years. It was the site of the first English Catholic mission in the New World and was the headquarters of the Jesuit’s Maryland Province. St. Mary’s City was Maryland’s first capital. As a boundary marker, the cannon was buried muzzle-first in the ground.
 
Also see . . .
1. St. Mary’s County Historic Background. Includes detail on St. Inigoes Manor. (Submitted on April 18, 2007.) 

2. Another Ark and Dove Cannon. (Submitted on April 19, 2007.)
 
Categories. Colonial EraMilitary
 
Inscription on Brass Plate image. Click for full size.
By Tom Fuchs, March 31, 2007
3. Inscription on Brass Plate
The Cannon in Front of the Old Jail image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, March 31, 2007
4. The Cannon in Front of the Old Jail
The Old Jail is now headquarters to the St. Mary’s County Historical Society.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 18, 2007, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,804 times since then and 30 times this year. Last updated on April 19, 2007, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 18, 2007, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement