Santa Catarina Barahona, Sacatepéquez, Guatemala
Santa Catarina Barahona
Fue fundado por Don Sancho Barahona,
uno de los Capitanes de Don Pedro Alvarado,
entre los años de 1530 a 1540
Su principal edificio es la Iglesia Parroquial dedicado a Santa Catalina Virgen y
Martir, Patrona de los Estudiantes
Este monumento fue un obsequio por los
quincuangenario a la Mplrad de
The town of Santa Catalina Barahona
was founded by Sancho Barahona,
one of Pedro Alvarado’s captains,
between the years 1530 to 1540.
The principal building is the Catholic Parish Church dedicated to Saint Catalina, Virgin and
Martyr, Patron Saint of Students.
This monument was a gift dedicated to the
50th anniversary of the Municipality
Erected 1943 by Municipalidad de Santa Catarina Barahona.
Location. 14° 33.097′ N, 90° 47.19′ W. Marker is in Santa Catarina Barahona, Sacatepéquez. Touch for map. The marker and monument are to the right of the Catholic church of Santa Catarina Barahona.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Tragic Accident in San Antonio Aguas Calientes (approx. 0.8 kilometers away); Juanito Cucuy Taj General Justo Rufino Barrios (approx. 3.3 kilometers away); Founding of the First Capital of Guatemala (approx. 3.9 kilometers away); Doña Beatriz de la Cueva (approx. 4 kilometers away); 100th Anniversary of the Cross of San Bartolomé Becerra (approx. 4.1 kilometers away); Rafael Landívar (approx. 5.2 kilometers away); a different marker also named Rafael Landívar (approx. 5.2 kilometers away).
Regarding Santa Catarina Barahona. At some point since the construction of the marker in 1943 the town's name changed from Santa Catalina (the patron saint mentioned on the marker) to Santa Catarina (the town and municipality's present official name).
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 21, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 9, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 227 times since then and 51 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 9, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.