Antigua Guatemala in Municipality of Antigua Guatemala, Sacatepéquez, Guatemala
The Fountain of Antigua's Central Park
Llamada de las sirenas
Mandada hacer por el Ayuntamiento
al arquitecto mayor Diego de Porres
1738 - 1739
Known locally as the Fountain of the Sirens
Ordered by the City Council to be made
by the chief architect Diego de Porres
1738 - 1739
Location. 14° 33.412′ N, 90° 44.025′ W. Marker is in Antigua Guatemala, Sacatepéquez, in Municipality of Antigua Guatemala. Marker can be reached from 5a Avenida just from 5a Calle Poniente. Touch for map. The marker is directly north of the fountain in the middle of Antigua´s central park. Marker is in this post office area: Antigua Guatemala, Sacatepéquez 03001, Guatemala.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sculptor Quirio Cataño (within shouting distance of this marker); California Avocado Society Thanks Guatemala (within shouting distance of this marker); First Printing Press in Central America (within shouting distance of this marker); Cathedral of Antigua Guatemala (within shouting distance of this marker); Palace of the Captaincy General Francisco Marroquín (within shouting distance of this marker); Antigua Guatemala UNESCO World Heritage Site (within shouting distance of this marker); Adrian Recinos Born in this House (about 120 meters away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Antigua Guatemala.
Regarding The Fountain of Antigua's Central Park. Diego de Porres (1677-1741) was the most notable of architects that worked in Antigua during the first half of the 18th century. He was chief architect of the city beginning in 1703. His works included the Town Hall (Ayuntamiento), the Archbishop´s Palace (Palacio Arzobispal), the bridge to San Lorenzo El Tejar, the Treasury (La Casa de la Moneda), the Christ's College Church (La Escuela de Cristo), the Fountain of the Sirens (La Fuente de las Sirenas) and the Catholic churches of La Recolección, Las Capuchinas, San Felipe Neri and Santa Clara.
The fountain was restored in 1949 by sculptor Rodolfo Galeotti Torres.
Categories. • Architecture • Colonial Era •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 2, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 11, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 255 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 11, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. 4. submitted on August 20, 2017, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.