Harrison in Sioux County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Village of Harrison
Although the Kinkaid 640 acre Homestead Act of 1904 caused a rapid influx of settlers into Sioux County, Harrison grew more slowly, reaching its peak population of 500 in 1940. After World War II, a trend toward larger farms and ranches, mechanization, and improved transportation led to a loss of population. In its centennial year of 1986, Harrison (pop.360) remained the only incorporated town in Sioux County and the principal educational, governmental and trade center for its citizens, many of whom were descendants of pioneer settlers.
Erected by Nebraska State Historical Society; Citizens of Harrison. (Marker Number 302.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Nebraska State Historical Society marker series.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Harrison NE 69346, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Coffee Siding (approx. 8 miles away).
Categories. • Agriculture • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 27, 2008, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,110 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 27, 2008, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.