Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Williamsport in Washington County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The C&O Canal in Williamsport

 
 
The C&O Canal in Williamsport Marker image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, June 29, 2016
1. The C&O Canal in Williamsport Marker
Inscription. Though the C&O Canal construction started in 1828, it did not reach Williamsport until 1833. During that year of construction a Cholera epidemic broke out that took the lives of 33 people. The following year the Canal and Aqueduct were completed in Williamsport. The first canal boat arrived in Williamsport from Cumberland loaded with coal in 1850. The Western Maryland Railroad reached Williamsport in 1873 presenting the Town with a clash of transportation modes. To accomodate both rail and canal traffic, in 1923 the Western Maryland Railway Lift Bridge was constructed just south of Cushwa Basin. The bridge was intended to lift the tracks to allow the passage of canal boats. That same year marked the passing of the last canal boat through Williamsport.

Williamsport is the only place on the canal where multiple examples of major canal structures can be viewed within a half-mile stretch:

Conococheague Creek Aqueduct
Cushwa Basin
Cushwa Coach & Brick Warehouse
Trolley Barn
Western Maryland Railway Lift Bridge
Iron 'Bollman'Bridge
Lock 44
Lockhouse
 
Location. 39° 36.033′ N, 77° 49.556′ W. Marker is in Williamsport, Maryland, in Washington County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Potomac Street
The C&O Canal in Williamsport Marker image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, June 29, 2016
2. The C&O Canal in Williamsport Marker
Closeup on the historical text.
(U.S. 11) and Commerce Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is just within the parking area for the C&O Canal National Historic Park, on the right side about 25 feet from the intersection. Marker is in this post office area: Williamsport MD 21795, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Welcome to Williamsport (here, next to this marker); Connecting People and Places (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Conococheague Creek Aqueduct (about 400 feet away); Williamsport (about 400 feet away); Creating a National Park (about 400 feet away but has been reported missing); Life on the Canal (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Williamsport (about 500 feet away); C & O Canal Aqueduct (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Williamsport.
 
Categories. Railroads & StreetcarsWaterways & Vessels
 
The C&O Canal in Williamsport Marker image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, June 29, 2016
3. The C&O Canal in Williamsport Marker
This marker is on the left in this cluster of four.
The C&O Canal in Williamsport Marker image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, June 29, 2016
4. The C&O Canal in Williamsport Marker
View east, up Potomac Street toward the center of town.
Conococheague Creek Aqueduct image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, June 27, 2016
5. Conococheague Creek Aqueduct
About 500 feet west of the marker.
Cushwa Basin and Coal & Brick Warehouse image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, June 27, 2016
6. Cushwa Basin and Coal & Brick Warehouse
This view taken from the towpath, about 500 feet from the marker.
Trolley Barn image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, June 29, 2016
7. Trolley Barn
The barn is located about 100 feet north of the marker. It is now used as a canal museum.
Railroad Lift Bridge image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, June 27, 2016
8. Railroad Lift Bridge
The lift bridge is about 100 yards southwest of the marker.
Bollman Bridge image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, June 29, 2016
9. Bollman Bridge
Located about a 1/4 mile walk from the marker, the 'Bollman' is now used as a one-way automobile bridge to access River Bottom park.
Lock 44 and the Lockhouse image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, June 29, 2016
10. Lock 44 and the Lockhouse
These structures are about a 1/2 mile south of the Cushwa Basin.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 18, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 18, 2016, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 153 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on July 18, 2016, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland.
Paid Advertisement