Frankfort in Franklin County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
The Church of the Ascension
In January 1836 the first Bishop of Kentucky, the Rt. Rev. Benjamin Bosworth Smith, received from the Church of Ascension on Canal Street in New York City, a "gift or loan" to found an Episcopal Church in Frankfort. The present church building was erected in 1850 with funds donated by Judge John Harris Hanna, first president of the Farmers Bank. Over.
First full time rector was the Rev. John N. Norton. Throughout the Civil War, the parish remained united. The parish founded first free school for the poor in Frankfort and furnished a home for orphans from 1859 to 1939 on this site. It sponsored the first library in Frankfort. Many of Kentucky's Governors have worshiped here. See Over.
Erected 1975 by Kentucky Historical Society, Kentucky Department of Transportation. (Marker Number 1537.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Kentucky Historical Society marker series.
Location. 38° 11.982′ N, 84° 52.733′ W. Marker is in Frankfort, Kentucky, in Franklin County. Marker is on Washington Street south of West Broadway Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 311 Washington Street, Frankfort KY 40601, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Emily Thomas Tubman House (a few steps from this marker); Morehead House (within shouting distance of this marker); Crittenden House / An Eminent Statesman (within shouting distance of this marker); First Presbyterian Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Macklin House (about 400 feet away); First Methodist Church (about 400 feet away); Amos Kendall (1789 - 1869) (about 400 feet away); Garrard/Crittenden House (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Frankfort.
Also see . . . Church of the Ascension-Episcopal. (Submitted on July 20, 2016.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 20, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 19, 2016, by Pat Filippone of Stockton, California. This page has been viewed 140 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 19, 2016, by Pat Filippone of Stockton, California. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.