Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Monroe Township in Middlesex County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Dey Farm Historic Site Monroe Township

 
 
Dey Farm Historic Site Monroe Township Marker image. Click for full size.
By Stephen Kokoska, July 20, 2016
1. Dey Farm Historic Site Monroe Township Marker
Inscription. The Charles Dey family acquired this 42 acre site on Old Church Road in 1927. Typical of farmsteads in this era, the house, which had been constructed in three stages beginning in 1820, was complemented by its red barns, shed and protective shade trees. In the late 1940s, ownership of the property passed to their son, Charles L. Dey Jr., who raised his family in this sturdy home, situated in the agricultural center of Monroe Township. During the 1900s, the principal crop was potatoes which would have been transported to Freehold or South River. In addition to growing hay for the cows and horses, the early rising household tended chickens and pigs, and kept a vegetable garden for home consumption.

The Dey Farm is now the centerpiece of an historic hamlet, dedicated to providing current area residents with an opportunity to experience Monroe's rich, rural past.
 
Location. 40° 17.412′ N, 74° 27.763′ W. Marker is in Monroe Township, New Jersey, in Middlesex County. Marker can be reached from Old Church Road. Touch for map. Old Church Road is located off of Federal Road, South of the Stonebridge Development. Marker is in this post office area: Monroe Township NJ 08831, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the

Dey Farm Historic Site Monroe Township Marker image. Click for full size.
By Stephen Kokoska, July 20, 2016
2. Dey Farm Historic Site Monroe Township Marker
crow flies. Monroe Township Memorial Park (approx. 2.2 miles away); Eisenhower Tree (approx. 2.8 miles away); Cranberry Mills (approx. 3.1 miles away); The Cranbury Dam (approx. 3.2 miles away); Site of House of Dr. Hezekiah Stites (approx. 3.2 miles away); The Second Presbyterian Church of Cranbury (approx. 3.2 miles away); The First Presbyterian Church and Cemetery (approx. 3.2 miles away); Site of Encampment (approx. 3.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Monroe Township.
 
Categories. Agriculture
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 21, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 20, 2016, by Stephen Kokoska of North Brunswick, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 224 times since then and 74 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 20, 2016, by Stephen Kokoska of North Brunswick, New Jersey. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement