Winchester, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The Early Education Of Black Students In Winchester
In 1924, the black community petitioned the city school board for a new school to replace the severely overcrowded Old Stone Church. The ‘new’ Douglas School opened at 598 N. Kent St in 1927 using funds from the Handley Trust. That facility served black children until the city schools were integrated in 1966.
R. Page Hall (1st Principal 1875-1908) and Powell W. Gibson (3rd Principal1916-1940) in front of Winchester Colored School
Faculty at Douglas School in 1938-1939. Front row: Kirk N. Gaskins, Sr. (4th Principal 1940-1966), Principal Powell W. Gibson, Simon Cook. Back row: Anna Q. Brooks
Douglas School still stands at 598 N. Kent St. c. 1927
All images courtesy of Stewart Bell, Jr. Archives, Handley Regional Library, Winchester, VA
Location. 39° 11.146′ N, 78° 9.653′ W. Marker is in Winchester, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of North East Lane and East Piccadilly Street, on the right when traveling south on North East Lane. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Winchester VA 22601, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dr. Taylor F. Finley (a few steps from this marker); Third Battle of Winchester (within shouting distance of this marker); The Virginia Woolen Company and Lewis Jones Knitting Mill (within shouting distance of this marker); Jacob Baker Lot And Virginia City Addition (within shouting distance of this marker); Major General Daniel Morgan (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Stone Presbyterian Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Original Land Grant (about 600 feet away); Mary Greenhow Lee (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Winchester.
Categories. • African Americans • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 25, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 25, 2016, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 146 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 25, 2016, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.