Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Quintana in Brazoria County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Old Quintana

 
 
Old Quintana Marker image. Click for full size.
By Gregory Walker
1. Old Quintana Marker
Inscription. Named for a Mexican general. Early as 1532 a thriving village. Port of entry in Republic of Texas. Strategic fort in Civil War. Industrial area, cattle and cotton shipping point, 1870-1900. Fashionable summer colony, 1884 and afterwards. Largely destroyed in 1900 storm. Now a resort and fishing center.
 
Erected 1964 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 9589.)
 
Location. 28° 56.024′ N, 95° 18.471′ W. Marker is in Quintana, Texas, in Brazoria County. Marker is on Burnett Street east of 8th Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Freeport TX 77541, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Lively (approx. 0.8 miles away); Gulf Intracoastal Waterway (approx. 1.8 miles away); Old Velasco, CSA (approx. 1.8 miles away); Historical Jetties (approx. 1.8 miles away); Velasco (approx. 1.8 miles away); Freeport National Bank (approx. 2.6 miles away); Stringfellow Ranch (approx. 7.4 miles away); Battle of Jones Creek (approx. 10.4 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Quintana article in Handbook of Texas Online. (Submitted on July 30, 2016, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas.)
Location of Old Quintana Marker image. Click for full size.
By Gregory Walker
2. Location of Old Quintana Marker

 
Categories. Industry & CommerceSettlements & SettlersWar, US Civil
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 1, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 30, 2016, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. This page has been viewed 201 times since then and 70 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 30, 2016, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement