Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Whitehall in Franklin County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Whitehall Tavern

The Historic National Road in Ohio

 
 
Whitehall Tavern Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, July 5, 2016
1. Whitehall Tavern Marker
Inscription. The National Road was built through central Ohio in the 1830s. Robert Brotherton of White Hall, England, purchased 156 acres of land between Alum Creek and Big Walnut Creek in April 1838. This rural property became the site of “Ye Olde Whitehall Tavern.” It was a popular stagecoach stop that offered overnight lodging and refreshment to travelers on the National Road. Later in the 19th century this land and tavern were sold to Abram Doney. A small farming community developed along the National Road, and the name “Whitehall” was adopted. When Abram Doneys son Samuel inherited the estate in 1910, he subdivided the land into one-acre lots known as “Old Whitehall.” (picture of tavern)
 
Erected 2015 by The Ohio National Road Association, Inc.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the The Historic National Road marker series.
 
Location. 39° 57.38′ N, 82° 54.172′ W. Marker is in Whitehall, Ohio, in Franklin County. Marker is on East Main Street (U.S. 40), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is just east of the intersection of East Main Street and Maplewood Avenue. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3574 East Main Street, Columbus OH 43213, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
Whitehall Tavern Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, July 5, 2016
2. Whitehall Tavern Marker
Full view of marker
At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A Brief History of Eastmoor / Eastmoor Polo Field (approx. 1.1 miles away); Eastmoor (approx. 1.1 miles away); Columbus Depot (approx. 1.3 miles away); The Underground Railroad (approx. 1.6 miles away); The National Road / The Interurban Electric Railway (approx. 1.6 miles away); Norton Field (approx. 1.7 miles away); Capital University (approx. 1.8 miles away); Bexley World War II Memorial (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Whitehall.
 
Additional keywords. Old National Road
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceRoads & VehiclesSettlements & Settlers
 
Whitehall Tavern Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, July 5, 2016
3. Whitehall Tavern Marker
Marker can be seen at a distance
Whitehall Tavern image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, July 5, 2016
4. Whitehall Tavern
The Whitehall Tavern was known by many names over the years, including Whitehall Farm, Ye Olde Whitehall Inn, Whitehall Tavern, and the Whitehall Motel. It was demolished in 1963. Sketch by Mary Morrison.
The Historic National Road in Ohio image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, July 5, 2016
5. The Historic National Road in Ohio
The National Road, looking west, in front of the Whitehall Tavern site.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 31, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 30, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 200 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 30, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement