Broad Street Bridge
The Historic National Road in Ohio
In conjunction with the 1908 Master Plan for redevelopment of the city, a new bridge would be built to withstand future floods. Design and construction of the bridge started during World War I, The Federal government promoted the use of concrete instead of structural steel in local civic projects, since steel was needed for the war effort. Built in a Renaissance Revival style with seven arch spans, the bridge could carry four lanes of automobile traffic and two trolley lines. Despite three floods during construction, the cost of the bridge actually came in under the original estimates.
Completed in 1921, the bridge was named in honor of veterans
In 1990, the seven span, earth filled, barrel-vaulted bridge was removed, and work began on the present five span plate-arch structure.
Original commemorative plaques and a section of the limestone balustrade railing from the 1921 structure are located in a memorial park at the west end of the bridge.
Erected 2013 by The Hadler and Peppe Families, Dean C. Ringle, P.E,, P.S., Franklin County Engineer.
Marker series. This marker is included in the The Historic National Road marker series.
Location. 39° 57.682′ N, 83° 0.374′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Ohio, in Franklin County. Marker is at the intersection of West Broad Street Old National Road (U.S. 40) and Washington Blvd, on the right when traveling east on West Broad Street Old National Road. Touch for map. Marker is at the west end of the bridge, on the south side, at the entrance to Genoa Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 303 W. Broad Street, Columbus OH 43215, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Central High School (here, next to this marker); Scioto River Historical Marker (within shouting distance of this marker); Celebration of Life
Additional keywords. Old National Road
Categories. • Architecture • Bridges & Viaducts • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 2, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 1, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 198 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 1, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.