Harpers Ferry in Jefferson County, West Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Camp Hill during the Civil War
Harpers Ferry National Historical Park
In May of 1862, during Stonewall Jackson’s Valley Campaign, Union soldiers constructed a line of defenses parallel to the top of the ridge to protect Harpers Ferry from attack from the west. Throughout the rest of the Civil War, hundreds of Federal soldiers encamped on this slope, protected by the earthworks stretching across the crest of Camp Hill.
Erected by National Park Service, US Department of Interior.
Location. 39° 19.454′ N, 77° 44.449′ W. Marker is in Harpers Ferry, West Virginia, in Jefferson County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Fillmore Street and Storer College Place, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. This marker is on the grounds of the Stephen T. Mather Training Center, formerly the grounds of Storer College. Marker is at or near this postal address: 51 Mather Place, Harpers Ferry WV 25425, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Storer College 1867-1955 (here, next to this marker); A Land Divided (a few steps from this marker); The Niagara Movement at Storer College (a few steps from this marker); John Brown (within shouting distance of this marker); Foundations of Freedom (within shouting distance of this marker); Church and School (within shouting distance of this marker); Stephen Tyng Mather (within shouting distance of this marker); Storer College Veterans Memorial Gate (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Harpers Ferry.
Also see . . . Harpers Ferry National Historical Park. National Park Service (Submitted on August 4, 2016.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 4, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 4, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 195 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 4, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide shot of marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?