Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Philadelphia in Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Fawcitt House Site

 
 
Fawcitt House Site Marker image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, July 5, 2008
1. Fawcitt House Site Marker
Inscription. Delegates walking to Carpenters' Hall (to your left) for meetings of the First Continental Congress in 1774 passed an aging wood house at this site. The two-story house was built about 1706 for bodice-maker Nathan Fawcitt.
The Fawcitt House, like most wood houses of the period, has not survived. In fact, wood houses became such fire hazards in the congested city that by 1796 city codes prohibited their construction.
 
Erected by Independence National Historical Park.
 
Location. 39° 56.918′ N, 75° 8.828′ W. Marker is in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in Philadelphia County. Marker can be reached from Chestnut Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is near the path to Carpenters' Hall. Marker is in this post office area: Philadelphia PA 19106, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. New Hall (a few steps from this marker); Anthony Benezet (within shouting distance of this marker); Benjamin Franklin (within shouting distance of this marker); First Continental Congress (within shouting distance of this marker); Carpenters' Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Quaker School Site (within shouting distance of this marker); Quaker Meeting House Site (within shouting distance of this marker); Franklin Court (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Philadelphia.
 
Categories. Colonial EraNotable BuildingsPatriots & Patriotism
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 28, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 832 times since then and 32 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on July 28, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.
Paid Advertisement