Paris in Lamar County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Paris Cotton Compress
In 1884, the owners added a warehouse to the complex. By the 1890s, the Paris compress had two steam presses operating 24 hours a day in season for shipment to domestic and European markets. The compress compacted ginned bales of cotton to a specific density. In 1895, state rules set that density at 22.5 pounds per cubic foot for domestic use. The firm of Martin, Wise, and Fitzhugh became one of the largest cotton buyers in the South, with offices in New York, New Orleans, and Liverpool, England. Operating under various owners and managers over the decades, the business stimulated the local economy, helping to make Paris a thriving regional commercial center.
Erected 2014 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17903.)
Location. 33° 39.045′ N, 95° 33.444′ W. Marker is in Paris, Texas, in Lamar County. Marker is at the intersection of 1st Street SW and West Hearne Avenue, on the right when traveling south on 1st Street SW. Touch for map. Located near the Lamar County Sheriff's Building. Marker is at or near this postal address: 125 Brown Avenue, Paris TX 75460, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Baptist Church of Paris (approx. 0.6 miles away); Robert Cooke Buckner (approx. 0.6 miles away); Paris Fire Department (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Paris Fire, 1916 (approx. 0.7 miles away); John James Culbertson (approx. 0.7 miles away); First National Bank of Paris (approx. ¾ mile away); Paris Public Schools (approx. ¾ mile away); Lamar County, C. S. A. (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Paris.
Categories. • Agriculture • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 10, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 10, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 165 times since then and 61 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 10, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.