Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Whitesboro in Grayson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Whitesboro

 
 
Whitesboro Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, July 21, 2016
1. Whitesboro Marker
Inscription. Settlers moved to this site after Ambrose B. White (1811-83) camped here on his way west from Illinois in 1848. His inn here was on the Butterfield Stage route after 1858. The post office, opened in 1860, was named for White, who surveyed (1869) the townsite with Dr. W. H. Trolinger (1827-95), donor of land for a park. When Whitesboro incorporated in 1873, White was elected its first mayor. The Denison & Pacific Railroad, later part of the Missouri, Kansas, & Texas, arrived in 1879; the Texas & Pacific in 1881. Today the area's economy is based on recreational facilities and peanut production.
 
Erected 1975 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 11560.)
 
Location. 33° 39.348′ N, 96° 54.37′ W. Marker is in Whitesboro, Texas, in Grayson County. Marker is on East Main Street (State Highway 56) east of North Union Street (Business U.S. 377), in the median. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 123 East Main Street, Whitesboro TX 76273, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pioneer Park (approx. 1.2 miles away); Diamond Station (approx. 1.3 miles away); Diamond Horse Ranch
Whitesboro Marker looking towards City Hall. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, July 21, 2016
2. Whitesboro Marker looking towards City Hall.
(approx. 1.3 miles away); Gainesville (approx. 7.6 miles away); The Cross Timbers (approx. 7.7 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Whitesboro history. (Submitted on August 10, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
Categories. AgricultureRailroads & StreetcarsSettlements & Settlers
 
Whitesboro Marker & old city water well. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, July 21, 2016
3. Whitesboro Marker & old city water well.
Folks would gather around this well to water themselves and their horses. In addition to supplying water for the local residents, the well was also used to water stock and for the convenience of travelers.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 10, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 10, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 172 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 10, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement