Fort Buford Historic Site
In 1895 the fort was dismantled and the garrison was transferred to Fort Assiniboine, Montana.
The original adobe buildings providing quarters for 300 men were later replaced by about 100 frame buildings: though most of the buildings were sold and removed upon dismantling the fort. A stone powder magazine and the headquarters building are preserved on their original sites. The old military cemetery is also preserved.
Location. 47° 59.159′ N, 104° 0.07′ W. Marker is in Williston, North Dakota, in Williams County. Marker is on 39th Lane NW. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address:
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Outpost on the Missouri (approx. 2 miles away).
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 12, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 11, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 113 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 11, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.