Near Nocona in Montague County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Frontier Montague County Trails & Mail Routes
With this marker the curtain of time has been removed. The trails and mail routes made across the county by traders, prospectors, soldiers, homesteaders, stagecoach drivers, surveyors, freighters and drovers with their campsites and settlements are here cut in stone for all future generations to see and understand.
Dedicated June 14, 1986 at the campsite of the wagon train celebrating the 150th anniversary of Texas Independence from Mexico by the Nocona Sesquicentennial Committee.
Erected 1986 by Nocona Sesquicentennial Committee.
Location. 33° 47.145′ N, 97° 42.374′ W. Marker is near Nocona, Texas, in Montague County. Marker is on U.S. 82 0.3 miles from Hillcrest Drive, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Located next to the Nocona AF&AM Masonic Lodge. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1528 East Hwy. 82, Nocona TX 76255, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Red River Station / Texas Civil War Frontier Defense Cotton Gin & Grist Millstones (about 500 feet away); Central Christian Church (approx. 1.2 miles away); United Methodist Church of Montague (approx. 8½ miles away); Montague Catholic Cemetery (approx. 8.8 miles away); Spanish Fort (approx. 12.2 miles away); Site of the 1759 Taovayo Victory Over Spain (approx. 12.2 miles away); Head of Elm (approx. 12.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Nocona.
Categories. • Exploration • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Frontier Montague County Trails & Mail Routes.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 15, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 15, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 222 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 15, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.