Pittsford in Rutland County, Vermont — The American Northeast (New England)
Kendrick Dam, Pond, Mill, and Ice House
A sawmill was built in 1798 by Pittsford's Woodruff family about 275 feet to the north on Sugar Hollow Brook, a Furnace Brook tributary. The mill was replaced and a dam built c.1870 by the Norse family. An ice house was added, with ice cut from the impounded waters of the pond and sawdust from the mill for insulating. The name Kendrick Dam and Pond reflects later owners.
In 2014, the town of Pittsford dismantled the dam to mitigate potential flooding and restore the natural flow of this important trout stream. The laid up stone and impounded sediment were removed.
Parts of the foundations of the dam, mill, and ice house have been preserved, a testament to the historic uses of Vermont's rivers and streams.
Erected 2015 by Vermont Division for Historic Preservation.
Location. 43° 43.357′ N, 73° 1.223′ W. Marker is in Pittsford, Vermont, in Rutland County. Marker is on Plains Road one mile east of U.S. 7, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1070 Plains Road, Pittsford VT 05763, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Vermont Sanatorium (approx. ¾ mile away); Pittsford's Iron Industry (approx. 1.1 miles away); Hammond Covered Bridge (approx. 1.7 miles away); Fort Vengeance (approx. 2.2 miles away); Vermont Marble Company (approx. 4.2 miles away); Proctor (VT) War Memorial (approx. 4.3 miles away); John Sunderland (approx. 4.3 miles away); Otter Creek (approx. 4.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pittsford.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Waterways & Vessels •
More. Search the internet for Kendrick Dam, Pond, Mill, and Ice House.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 29, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 29, 2016, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 148 times since then and 16 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on August 29, 2016, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.