Lancaster in Fairfield County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Original Lancaster Methodist's Bell
...commissioned in 1849 to ring the praise of Almighty God from the steeple of the old M.E. Church on South Jackson (High) Street, this bell was relocated by the congregation to their present church in September 1907. Eventually displaced by electric Deagan chimes, the bell was relegated to mid-tower storage in 1924. A lovely set of carillon bells ultimately replaced those chimes in 2009. The grand old Meneely bell was re-discovered by the congregation and removed from the tower for restoration and eventual display in January 2010.
This monument is intended to commemorate the two-hundredth anniversary of Methodism in Lancaster, as well as to very specifically remember--with tremendous love and gratitude--all members, staff and clergy of "First Church" dating back to her founding class of ten pioneer believers in 1812...
Erected 2012 by First United Methodist Church.
Location. 39° 42.9′ N, 82° 35.974′ W. Marker is in Lancaster, Ohio, in Fairfield County. Marker is at the intersection of East Wheeling Street and North High Street, on the right when traveling west on East Wheeling Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 163 East Wheeling Street, Lancaster OH 43130, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Birthplace of Gen. William Tecumseh Sherman (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Ohio Military Hall of Fame (about 600 feet away); Fairfield County Veterans Service Commission Veterans Memorial (about 600 feet away); Daughters of Union Veterans of the Civil War Memorial (about 800 feet away); Fairfield County Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); William Tecumseh Sherman (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. Mary's Church Centennial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lancaster’s Richard Outcault (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lancaster.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 1, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 1, 2016, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 207 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 1, 2016, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.