Mills Community House
This building was a girls dormitory erected in 1909 for the Benzonia Academy. Named Mills Cottage in honor of the Reverend Harlow S. Mills, pastor of Benzonia Congregational Church from 1896 to 1916, it became property of that church when the Academy closed in 1918. Renamed Mills Community House, it hosts local gatherings and houses a public library. Its purposes are consistent with the educational and religious beliefs held by the town's early settlers.
Erected 1977 by Michigan History Division, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L0468.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 44° 37.147′ N, 86° 5.94′ W. Marker is in Benzonia, Michigan, in Benzie County. Marker is on Michigan Avenue (U.S. 31) north of Traverse Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 891 Michigan Avenue, Benzonia MI 49616, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bruce Catton (here, next to this marker); Benzonia College
Also see . . .
1. Mills Community House Association History. (Submitted on September 5, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. History of Benzonia Public Library. (Submitted on September 5, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Churches & Religion • Education • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 5, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 5, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 162 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 5, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.