Sandisfield in Berkshire County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
The village was a lively commercial center throughout the 1800s under the Twinings, Dr. Parsons, Joseph Norton, the Clarks and Orlow Northway. In the 20th century Stricklands and later Gampettis were proprietors of the inn (c.1755) and the New Boston Store (c 17605-2012).
Other historically important points include the Hull Tannery Complex (1840-1917), "The Old Red Shop” wood milling at Roosterville (1844-1955) The Little Brown Church (1876) and “Suicide Hill” ski jump (1933-38).
In 1967 the hamlet of Colebrook River south of the village was removed for a flood control reservoir. The venerable Hawley Tavern (1798) there was also lost.
Sandisfield Historical Commission
Location. 42° 5.605′ N, 73° 4.533′ W. Marker is in Sandisfield, Massachusetts, in Berkshire County. Marker is at the intersection of S. Main Street (Massachusetts Route 8) and Tolland Road (Massachusetts Route 57), on the Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sandisfield MA 01255, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The New Boston Inn (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Tolland Honor Roll (approx. 3.3 miles away); In Memory of Gordon Hall (approx. 3.3 miles away); Gen. Henry Knox Trail (approx. 6.1 miles away); The Rock School (approx. 6.2 miles away in Connecticut); The Store at West Granville (approx. 6.9 miles away); First Congregational Church (approx. 7.1 miles away); Otis Veterans Monument (approx. 7.1 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Town of Sandisfield. (Submitted on September 6, 2016, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
2. Sandisfield, Massachusetts on Wikipedia. (Submitted on September 6, 2016, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 6, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 6, 2016, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 193 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 6, 2016, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.