Corydon in Harrison County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
St. Paul African Methodist Episcopal Church
Free blacks and former slaves organized an African Methodist Episcopal congregation in Corydon by 1843. In 1851, church trustees purchased land in Corydon in order to build a church and for school purposes. In 1878, church trustees purchased land at this site and later built a frame church.
In August 1975, the congregation dedicated the brick church adjacent to this site. William Paul Quinn, appointed A.M.E. missionary 1840, established many congregations in frontier Indiana; elected Bishop 1844. Many early churches served as schools and enriched black social, cultural, and political life.
Erected 2003 by Indiana Historical Bureau & St. Paul's A.M.E. Building Fund Organization. (Marker Number 31.2003.3.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Indiana State Historical Bureau Markers marker series.
Location. 38° 12.793′ N, 86° 7.314′ W. Marker is in Corydon, Indiana, in Harrison County. Marker is on North Maple Street near East High Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Corydon IN 47112, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker Cedar Hill Cemetery (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Leora Brown School (about 500 feet away); First State Office Building (about 800 feet away); John Shields (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Liar's Bench (approx. 0.2 miles away); Governor's Headquarters (approx. 0.2 miles away); Oswell Wright (approx. 0.2 miles away); Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Corydon.
Also see . . . Photos of Dedication (Courtesy - Indiana Historical Bureau):. (Submitted on January 21, 2013, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana.)
Categories. • Abolition & Underground RR • African Americans • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 31, 2008, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 1,509 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 31, 2008, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Christopher Busta-Peck was the editor who published this page.