Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Paris in Lamar County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

St. Joseph's Hospital

 
 
St. Joseph's Hospital Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, July 21, 2016
1. St. Joseph's Hospital Marker
Inscription. In 1911 the Catholic bishop of Dallas, Joseph Patrick Lynch (1872-1954), beseeched the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word to administer St. Joseph's Infirmary in Paris. The congregation, based in San Antonio and experienced in hospital care, dispatched six Sisters by train.

They arrived in Paris in August, and began refurbishing the 2-story, 16-room frame infirmary on this site. The building had been converted about 1908 from St. Patrick's Academy (established in 1898), but was later abandoned.

The Sisters' first patient was admitted on October 1, 1911. Within three years Bishop Lynch dedicated a new 4-story brick infirmary here. When much of Paris was consumed by fire on March 21, 1916, St. Joseph's survived with its own power and light plant. Doctors' offices and school classes were welcomed in the infirmary.

World War II ended the Depression and brought an army camp to Paris, with St. Joseph's serving the military and dependents who arrived. The 1914 building and hospital services were expanded during and after the war, directly supporting the economic growth of Paris.

In 1963 a campaign was launched by the congregation and local supporters to build a new hospital, dedicated here in 1968. The facility and services have been frequently expanded to serve a large surrounding region.
Former St. Joseph's Hospital - now Paris Regional Medical Center. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, July 21, 2016
2. Former St. Joseph's Hospital - now Paris Regional Medical Center.

Texas Sesquicentennial 1836 - 1986
 
Erected 1986 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 8223.)
 
Location. 33° 39.61′ N, 95° 32.85′ W. Marker is in Paris, Texas, in Lamar County. Marker is at the intersection of Clarksville Street (Business U.S. 82) and 8th Street SE on Clarksville Street. Touch for map. Located in front of the Paris Regional Medical Center. Marker is at or near this postal address: 820 Clarksville Street, Paris TX 75460, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Paris Fire Department (approx. 0.4 miles away); Lamar County Courthouse (approx. half a mile away); The Paris Fire, 1916 (approx. half a mile away); John James Culbertson (approx. half a mile away); Lamar County, C. S. A. (approx. half a mile away); First National Bank of Paris (approx. 0.6 miles away); Paris (approx. 0.7 miles away); Paris Cotton Compress (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Paris.
 
Also see . . .  Sisters Struggle to Establish Paris Texas Hospital. (Submitted on September 8, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Notable PlacesScience & Medicine
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 8, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 8, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 180 times since then and 70 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 8, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement