Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Paris in Lamar County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Lamar County, C. S. A.

 
 
Lamar County, <small>C. S. A.</small> Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, July 21, 2016
1. Lamar County, C. S. A. Marker
Inscription. On uneasy border of Indian Territory in the Civil War. A military transport center, on the Old Central National Road surveyed in 1844 by the Republic of Texas, to run from San Antonio, crossing Red River north of Paris. A rich farming area. Lamar County gave much food to the Confederacy, despite unrest over rumors of Federal invasion from the north.

In 1861, Lamar County sent to the Texas Secession Convention the one delegation to vote unanimously against secession. Citizens in the statewide election also opposed secession by vote of 663 to 553.

Once war came, however, the county raised at least 9 combat companies. Organized 9th Texas Infantry, led in succession by Colonels S. B. Maxey, W. H. Young and W. A. Stanley. The 9th fought at bloody Shiloh in 1862 and later was in famous Hood's Texas Brigade, one of the most illustrious armies in the Civil War.

Maxey became one of the 3 major generals and Young one of the 32 brigadier generals given by the state of Texas to the Confederate cause.

Among most noted of Texas contractors of beef to feed Confederate armies was a Lamar countian, John Chisum, who during wartime became a cattle king, with great herds in open country to the west.
 
Erected 1965 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number
Lamar County, <small>C. S. A.</small> Marker (on left). image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, July 21, 2016
2. Lamar County, C. S. A. Marker (on left).
8205.)
 
Location. 33° 39.733′ N, 95° 33.403′ W. Marker is in Paris, Texas, in Lamar County. Marker is at the intersection of West Houston Street and North Main Street, on the left when traveling east on West Houston Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 119 North Main Street, Paris TX 75460, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lamar County Courthouse (a few steps from this marker); First National Bank of Paris (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); John James Culbertson (about 400 feet away); The Paris Fire, 1916 (about 500 feet away); Paris (about 600 feet away); Paris Fire Department (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. Joseph's Hospital (approx. half a mile away); Central National Road (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Paris.
 
Categories. Railroads & StreetcarsWar, US Civil
 
Lamar County, <small>C. S. A.</small> Marker looking west on Houston Street. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, July 21, 2016
3. Lamar County, C. S. A. Marker looking west on Houston Street.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 9, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 9, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 217 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 9, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement