Gainesville in Alachua County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Matheson homestead dates from 1857, when Alexander Matheson brought his family from Camden, South Carolina to establish a home on the Sweetwater Branch at the eastern edge of the new town of Gainesville. The present one and a half story Matheson House is believed to incorporate much of the original one story home. Alexander moved his family back to South Carolina in the early years of the Civil War. After the war and settlement of a mortgage foreclosure, the property was acquired by his younger brother, James D. Matheson, who had served as an officer in the Seventh South Carolina Cavalry and surrendered at Appomattox. He moved into the home in 1867 with his new bride, Augusta Florida Steele, daughter of Judge Augustus Steele, founder of Cedar Key, and an influential Florida pioneer during the territorial and early statehood period. James, a prominent businessman and merchant, ran a successful dry goods store and engaged in other commercial enterprises. He was also a trustee of the East Florida Seminary and served on the Alachua County Commission from 1895 to 1899. Elected County Treasurer in 1909, he held that office until
Erected 1992 by The Alachua County Historical Commission
Location. 29° 39.07′ N, 82° 19.182′ W. Marker is in Gainesville, Florida, in Alachua County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of SE 1st Avenue and SE 6th Street. Touch for map. Marker is on the grounds of the Matheson House/Museum Complex. Can be found on a path SW of the house surrounded by heavy vegetation. Marker is at or near this postal address: 513 E University Ave, Gainesville FL 32601, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Gainesville Servicemen's Center / Thelma Boltin Center (approx. 0.2 miles away); East Florida Seminary (approx. 0.2 miles away); Spanish Cattle Ranching (approx. ¼ mile away); City of Gainesville (approx. ¼ mile away); First Gainesville Skirmish / Battle of Gainesville (approx. ¼ mile away); Confederate Soldier Memorial (was approx. 0.3 miles away but has been reported permanently removed. ); Alachula County Courthouse (approx. 0.3 miles away); Roper Park / Old City Park (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gainesville.
Regarding Matheson House. The Matheson House is part of the Matheson History Museum complex. Originally built and owned by the Matheson family, it is one of the three oldest homes in Gainesville. It was the home of Christopher Matheson, Gainesville's
Also see . . . Matheson History Museum. (Submitted on September 12, 2016.)
Categories. • Architecture • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 23, 2017. This page originally submitted on September 9, 2016, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. This page has been viewed 210 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 9, 2016, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.